About the REBI Board of Directors
The REBI Board of Directors (Board), as the strategic governing body of the organization, is the policy-making and oversight body responsible for furthering REBI’s mission and acts on behalf of our members and other stakeholders. The Board supervises and directs the operations of the Institute in accordance with the mission and purpose of the Institute and any policies set by Board of Directors.
All Directors are professionals who have earned the CRB and/or SRS designation and represent a wide portfolio of real estate experience and client representation. They also highly value the perspective of our members and volunteers; many of the critical and innovative ideas the Board has addressed have been introduced and stewarded by our committees.
The culture of the Board of Directors is a lively and collaborative one. The Board prides itself on being very much a governing board, as opposed to a management board, and is highly invested in successful Board outcomes. Due to the busy professional and personal lives of our officers and directors, a high value is placed on the efficient use of Board time. Fortunately, the support provided by the exceptional staff leadership of REBI makes the work of the Board much more efficient and effective than it would otherwise be.
Click below for a detailed outline.
The Board of Directors composition includes the REBI Officers, Immediate Past President, an REBI representative on NAR’s Executive Committee, ten (10) directors, and the REBI CEO.
The ten at-large directors shall serve two-year staggered terms. No more than six (6) of the ten (10) at-large members shall hold certified instructor status with the Institute. No at-large director may be elected for more than two consecutive two-year terms.
Power and Duties
Responsibility and authority for the oversight and control of the properties, funds, and activities of the Institute shall be vested in a Board of Directors as the governing Board of the organization. The Board of Directors also:
- Shall have authority to initiate, formulate, and adopt statements of official policy for the Institute.
- Shall have authority and responsibility for establishing objectives and assigning responsibility for the programs and activities of the Institute.
- Shall have authority to establish, alter or amend, as required, rules, policies and procedures governing the proceedings and meetings of the Board of Directors which are not inconsistent with the Institute’s Bylaws; or the Constitution, Bylaws or policies of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
- Shall have the authority to establish, dissolve, and determine the size and responsibilities of all committees, divisions, workgroups and taskforces other than committees specified by the Bylaws.
- Shall have authority and responsibility for other duties and functions customarily incumbent upon the governing Board of a corporation, or enumerated in the Bylaws, or imposed by law.
- Shall have the authority to select, retain, support and discharge the Chief Executive Officer.
- Shall have the authority to determine annual membership dues and certification fees.
Nominated by the REBI Nominating Committee, elected by the Board of Directors for a two (2) year staggered term.
REBI Officers must meet the following requirements. Other requirements apply to the specific position (see above links):
- a CRB or SRS designee in good standing
- an active practitioner in real estate within the last five (5) years.
- served in at least two (2) of the following capacities:
- Chair or Vice Chair of an REBI committee or work group
- Officer or Board member of the National Association of REALTORS or an NAR affiliate organization
- Officer or other professional or trade association or non-profit organization.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, influencer, high EQ, inspirational.
- Personal skills: strategic/forward thinking, innovative and creative.
- Group skills: strong leadership, consensus builder, collaborative.
- Personal attributes: integrity, accountability, humility.
- Technical skills: expertise/understands real estate industry, knowledge/understanding of REBI, understanding of governance fundamentals, global awareness/experience.